You don’t need a 12-speed baby swing. You don’t need baby clothes that are hand wash only.
Here are five things that every parent needs to know.
- Prepare for everything to change. Many couples say that they won’t let children change their lifestyle. The baby will go where they go. Ha! Yes, you may have days where you can comfortably enjoy a latte while the new bub dozes in their capsule or pram. But there will be days when it will take you two hours to get ready to get out of the house. Only to have an exploding nappy of epic proportions the second you put the baby in the car.
- Invest in a decent coffee machine for your home. Trust me, you’ll need it. See point #1.
- Emergency lasagnas are life savers.Every now and then, make a huge batch of bolognese sauce and cook up several lasagnas to put in the freezer. Perfect for when you have crazy weeks at work, you’re sick, or forget to do grocery shopping. Emergency lasagna to the rescue.
- Prepare to either be cleaning all the time, or get used to being more relaxed about housework. You can’t have a clean and tidy house and have happy kids, without losing part of your mind in the process. As my mother-in-law once told me, “just take off your glasses and you can’t see the dust”. Outsource chores to older children.
- If you don’t have a sense of humour, you’re screwed. Find one, fast.
Make sure you’re following Life, kids and a glass of red on Facebook for more giggles and snippets of silliness!